If you’ve ever been to Georgia in spring or summer, you’ll know just how bad the “skeeters” are down here. I know we haven’t cornered the market on the little suckers, either! Most areas of the world with standing water and lots of trees have their fair share of the little pests!
Now, I was raised on Off! as a mosquito repellent, but these days, it seems we’re looking for things that are a little less toxic to the skin. Unfortunately, the easiest and most effective method to repel mosquitoes involves the toxic chemical DEET. While the health effects of DEET are not conclusive, they are scary enough to warrant the government recommending limited exposure. Even though many repellents may have low concentrations of DEET, I’d still rather steer clear of any mosquito repellents with chemicals.
Luckily enough for us, there are plenty of homemade recipes we can use that are non-toxic! Here are the 5 most common homemade mosquito repellents I have found:
Lemon Eucalyptus Mosquito Repellent
- lemon eucalyptus oil
- sunflower oil or Witch Hazel
- Mix 1 part lemon eucalyptus oil for every 10 parts of sunflower oil/witch hazel.
- Rub or spray on skin.
Lavender Vanilla Mosquito Repellent
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3-4 Tbsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp lemon juice
- Distilled water
- Pour first 3 ingredients into an 8 oz spray bottle
- Finish filling bottle with distilled water
- Shake to combine ingredients
- Spray on skin or clothing
Homemade Mosquito Repellent
- 16 oz of rubbing alcohol
- 3.5 oz of whole cloves
- 3.5 oz of baby oil or another type of oil (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)
- Place cloves in alcohol and leave to infuse for four days, stirring every morning and evening.
- After 4 days, strain the alcohol into a spray bottle and add the oil
- Shake well before use
- Spray onto skin or clothing
Mosquito and Tick Repellent
- 6 oz witch hazel
- 2 oz castor oil
- 5 drops cinnamon oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus oil
- 15 drops citronella oil
- Combine all ingredients in spray bottle
- Be sure to shake well before each application
Organic Insect Repellent
- 5 ml Neem Oil
- 2 ml liquid soap (organic)
- 1L Distilled Water
- Pour water into spray bottle
- Add Neem Oil and liquid soap
- Shake and apply directly to exposed skin
Do you have a homemade mosquito repellent recipe that you use every year to ward off the flying menaces? We’d love you to share with us!